Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Nude of the week 19: Woman with a bowl of fruit


The nudes I have put up so far are all quick poses.  I began this one with very light pencil strokes and then watercolour.  I really like the way her hair emphasises the line from the nape of her neck over her shoulders and down her back.

The watercolour is painted with a big brush, freely, wet on wet, the slate colour shadow under her arms goes its own way.  The strong yellow wall picks out her lighter profile. First I painted her profile and when this was dry, I carefully painted the wall with clear water, then flooded the deep yellow paint on the wall area.  I squeezed the paint brush hairs together to drip the deep yellow onto the clear wet area.  I painted this area with the paper flat on the table.  I really like the effect of watercolour floating on clear water in this way.  The scene reminded me of the Gaugin paintings in Tahiti.  Click here to see them.

PS: There's a new thing up on the Njeanius blog run by my husband Nick and me.  It's Nigel Pascoe reading "This England" by Shakespeare with nice photos of the New Forest.  Click here to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment